Wednesday 30 November 2016

What is not to like in a Literary Christmas?

I was just mentioning over at Hamlette's blog how only this morning I was reminded of the couple of books I had planned to read during the Christmas season. I thought it would be nice if there was some challenge around... not that I need a challenge to read them, but to be a part of a group that is specifically doing some Christmassy reading. 

Well, it would appear that this fleeting wish has come true as The Girl in the Bookcase is hosting A Literary Christmas. It is only required that you read at least one seasonal book and share it with other participants. Easy peasy.

A Literary Christmas: 2016 Reading Challenge // inthebookcase.blogspot.com

So, I've decided I am in with the following:

1. This is a little treasure I picked up for a song at a little bookstore over a year ago. It is a collection of three christmas stories  by Louisa May Alcott -- a "newly discovered literary treasure". It's a tiny book, no more than 122 pages long.

2.  A good friend of my leant me this book earlier this month. He picked it up believing this was the sort of thing that was bound to capture my interest. And he is right!  It is a family advent reader, and I am so looking forward to it.

3.  I only just discovered this at the blog of the hostess. She has this in her reading list, and I thought it sounded very interesting. It looks to be a short read as well -- about 160 pages. I would like to be able to finish this one as well.


Are any of these titles familiar to you? Have you anything planned solely for Christmas?


9 comments:

  1. I read A Quiet Little Woman last year around Christmas time! It was sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisa May Alcott...surprising as I found her dark side in recent years, she still can't be forgotten for the charm of her later stories. Am really looking forward to this one. Just began the Family Advent Reader of Handel's Messiah. May be I'll pop an Alcott short story in between.

      Last year, during Christmas, I discovered Kate Douglas Wiggin and The Romance of a Christmas Card. Such a pretty Christmas story, full of the warmth and goodness of the season. Hmmm...I think I might read it again this year if time permits...

      Delete
  2. Hi, Risa! (Btw, I looove your name.) :)

    Thanks for linking up in the Christmas challenge! It just so happens that Louisa May Alcott is one of my FAVORITE authors, and I have really enjoyed this one you're reading. (It may interest you to know that I host an annual LMA challenge during June!)

    I've really been enjoying the book about Scrooge-the-innkeeper, and I'm excited to learn that you plan to read it too. Cool! I'm also intrigued with the advent book you mentioned here, and may consider it next year myself.

    I'm glad you shared your picks for the season! I'll check in on your blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tarissa! It almost sounds like the last syllables in your name!:D...to be honest, though, this isn't my real name. It is an inversion of the two sounds in my pet name.

      I'm glad you told me about the LMA challenge...I have Jack and Jill set for a re-read next year. Maybe I'll slot it into June...sounds like a good idea!

      Yep...maybe we can exchange notes on this one!:D...I've begin the advent book and it looks like I'm going to be quite thrilled over this one. I already wish this was my copy!:-/

      Thank you very much for dropping by, Tarissa!

      Delete
    2. Wait, it's not a nod to Resa in Inkheart?

      Delete
    3. I'm afraid not. I haven't even read or watched Inkheart!

      Delete
    4. Haha! Silly me for making assumptions.

      IMHO, the movie was far superior to the book, but I'm in a pretty small minority.

      Delete
    5. Is that so? I recall my sister read the books and enjoyed them. I'm not sure she watched the movie though. I don't know much about it except for the premise.

      Delete
    6. Like I said, I'm in a minority. I read the first book, and the only characters I liked were Dustfinger and Resa -- I actively disliked both Mo and Meggie. They were both selfish and even unkind at times. But in the movie, they are characters I can really like and want to spend time with. Amazing difference. The author probably hates the movie, lol.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.