Tuesday 15 November 2016

My ten all-time movie favourites!

Top Ten Favourite Movies @ The Broke and Bookish



 
















  1. Ben-Hur -- I hadn't reached my teen years yet when I watched this movie. It wowed me, and I have seen it so many times since then. I think what gets me all the time is the powerful acting by Charleton Heston and Steven Boyd. The rest of the story is also beautiful, and it is the reason why I finally read the book. 
  2. The Lord of the Rings -- This movie trilogy was incredible! I cannot describe the thrill that coursed through me when I watched it on screen. I have to admit, at this point, that I haven't watched The Fellowship of the Ring on the large screen. I was too scared at the time to go view it because I wasn't sure it could live up to the book. However, when I read the rave reviews and my best friend endorsed it, I quickly caught up with it on DVD before going to the theatre for the second one. This trilogy might have skipped a lot, and taken a wee bit of liberty here and there with the plot and characters, but I think Jackson got the essence of Tolkien's Middle-Earth down pat.
  3. The Age of Innocence -- There was something about this movie that moved me. I cannot pin-point what it is exactly. I only know that it impressed itself upon my senses and I loved it. It was because of this I finally tried the book. But I'm sorry to say, for me, this was one of those instances with the movie made a way better impression than the book.
  4. My Fair Lady -- I have watched this a countless number of times, and I still never tier of it. I find something new to enjoy and love about this movie each time I view it. As a child I loved Eliza. As an adult my favourite parts have to be the conversations that involve Higgins, Eliza's father, and Col. Pickering. 
  5. Equilibrium -- This is a dystopian movie starring Christian Bale. I enjoyed the symmetry and precision of the movie as well as the story line. It is a cult movie, and every time it came on television my sister and I would watch it.
  6. Batman Begins -- I just enjoyed this background set-up of Batman. It was convincing, the music was great, and I liked the cinematography.
  7. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl -- This doesn't need much explanation, does it? Period drama. Fantastic music. Great acting. Swashbuckling story-line. I didn't like the subsequent movies in the franchise, but this one is all time favourite. 
  8. The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982 version) -- Of all the movies mentioned on this list, this one is the most recent I have watched. I thought it a lovely representation of Orczy's most loved 'superhero'. Anthony Andrews is a splendid Sir Percy Blakeney / Scarlet Pimpernel.
  9. Sense & Sensibility (1995 version) -- I thought this a very charming adaptation of Austen. This was a case of watching the movie before the book, and I believe I like both the book and the movie equally well. 
  10. The Crimson Pirate -- It's been nearly a couple of decades since I last saw this one. But I remember it with so much fondness. I've spent many a pleasurable hour re-watching this and laughing my butt off the chair! I haven't been able to locate a copy of this Lancaster movie even in this time of the internet. I hope to some day! 

25 comments:

  1. Ahh I LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean too!! Although I confess I adore all the movies and cannot wait for the 5th one! ALL THE PIRATES. COME TO ME. XD I also adore LOTR although there is a lot of walking in that series hhaha. And Batman was one of my favourites of ever. :D Also that soundtrack = ajfkdlsafd amazing genius.
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually quite like the walking! =)

      Batman...yes the Soundtrack is fantastic! As is Pirates... and the Lord of the Rings. :D

      Delete
  2. LOVELY choices! If you haven't seen it, you should try the 1994 Little Women, too. That one's my absolute favorite. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jillian! Is that the version with Winona Rider? If yes, then I have seen it, and it IS a lovely version! But I also like the one with Ingrid Bergman. Would find it hard to choose between the two.

      Delete
    2. THERE IS ONE WITH INGRID BERGMAN? Yes, I meant to Ryder one. :)

      Delete
    3. Oops! I got Katherine Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman mixed up. I'm not sure why...but I've always done that.:-/

      Delete
  3. So many people are doing their favorite movies. No way I could narrow it down. Instead I went with an off the wall topic - 10 movies starring Daniel Radcliffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a movie-watcher, so it was quite a simple task for me, really. :D

      But 10 Radcliffe movies? Are there more?! I'll be over to check your list!

      Delete
  4. OHHHH, I forgot Age of Innocence!!!! I did like that one, too. (Maybe it was bc Daniel Day Lewis is my favorite actor. Hmmm.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose it was Lewis who carried that so beautifully. But I think I was also very struck by the time period. I was at that time very very unfamiliar with American 'aristocracy' of the Victorian Period. So it was really very striking in many ways.

      Delete
  5. I love the 1993 adaptation of The Age of Innocence, Daniel Day-Lewis is a fantastic Newland Archer. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Whitney! A beautiful adaptation indeed!

      Delete
  6. I remember feeling the same way about LOTR - can it possibly do these amazing books justice? I was so hesitant, but it was one of the rare occasions when I left the theatre really feeling like the director actually loved and respected the books, which unfortunately doesn't often seem to be the case in film adaptations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I found I didn't quite care for the heavy-handed criticism that went all-out to nitpick the movie trilogy, because it really was brilliantly done.

      Delete
  7. As you know The Lord of the Rings was also on my list this week, however I also adore Sense and Sensibility. It was on my top ten adaptations list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...that was lovely! I hadn't read the book at the time, and wondered which one I would find lacking when I fondly picked it up. I believe S&S is now my favourite Austen novel!:D

      Delete
  8. Great list! Lord of the Rings is one of my all-time favorites and it just reminds me it's about time for a new marathon ;) And yes to Pirates of the Caribbean, it's been too longs ince I saw those movies so a rewatch is also needed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe....I'm actually planning to do a slow re-reading of LotR next year. I'm quite excited about it!

      Delete
  9. OhMyGoodness! SO MANY FAVORITES! Love 'Pirates,' The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Batman Begins was good as I remember. Of course, My Fair Lady is a must see classic. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Risa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe...glad you like these too! My Fair Lady is a definite must-see. I shall be introducing it to my sons by-and-by. :D

      Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  10. A fellow Equilibrium fan! Awesome! Far too few people know about that movie. It always makes me think of Fahrenheit 451.

    The Crimson Pirate is such fun. Amazon does have a region-free DVD version right now, just fyi. I'm kind of tempted to pick that up myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I stumbled upon Equilibrium quite by accident. We wondered why we hadn't heard anything about it until it appeared on television. Later we learnt they hadn't had the funds to promote the movie or some such thing. Poor PR and all that. Really good!

      I'm so glad you've heard of The Crimson Pirate! At times it seemed to be that no one knew about it. Thanks for the heads-up about the DVD. It would appear I cannot get it where I am, but I can give a shout-out to family. Yay!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the only reason I ever saw Equilibrium is because my ex-brother-in-law recommended it because he knew I like Sean Bean.

      The Crimson Pirate should be better known, if only for all the amazing stunt work!

      Delete
  11. yay for Age of Innocence! This is the first time I have seen it on a list this week. I absolutely love this movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's beautiful! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.