Monday 7 November 2016

My answers to some questions on non-fiction.


I just saw this over at an adventure in reading, and decided this would be a perfect event (hosted at Hibernator's Library) to take part in, especially considering where my current reading interests lie.


What are you looking for when you pick up a non-fiction book?

I am looking for lovely, descriptive, evocative prose.

Do you have a particular topic you are attracted to?

I tend to gravitate toward travelogues and memoirs. They give me a strong sense of connection to individuals (almost like in fiction), whilst keeping me entertained or riveted with real-life events.

When you look at a non-fiction book does the title or cover influence you?

It could be either or both or neither. My most recent purchase of non-fiction books had me choosing one because its title was reminiscent of Paul Scott's Jewel in the Crown. Also, its subtitle read the betrayal of .... ; the second book I chose was because of its title and its lovely Persian looking cover. I must make it clear, though, that I wouldn't have picked up either book just for the looks and title -- I read their blurbs, checked out the writing style and only then bought them! 

If so, share a title or cover which you find striking.


Struck by the title.

Struck by the title and the cover.





8 comments:

  1. The titles (particularly the subtitles) are often the hook for me to stop and read the blurb, or the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...when I thought about it later (as in, when I was writing the titles for TTT) I realised the subtitles were the real hook for me (too!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love travelogues, too. The cover of The Silk Roads makes me want to pick it up and take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's so very pretty and is what seems to have attracted my husband to it too! He's reading it right now. :D

      Delete
  4. The wording of a subtitle is a really important part of the title which I unfortunately tend to ignore more than I should. There have been times when I read a book based solely on the major title and was shocked when it wasn't about what I thought it was about. Then when I looked at the subtitle, I felt a bit chagrined. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading non-fiction is fairly new to me. I have only just begun to realise the importance of the subtitle myself. It seems to be a sort of thesis statement, right? I have come across reviews where people have bought books thinking they were something else entirely. So I try to be as careful as I can so that I don't make that same mistake.

      Delete
  5. I love the cover of The Silk Roads, and I keep picking it up in Waterstones but never committed to buying it. Yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's worth picking up! I haven't read it as yet, but the handful of pages I have read so far gives me a good feeling. I was also quite convinced by the reviews on it.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.