Sunday 20 November 2016

In which I have a go at a Period Drama Tag.

 I discovered this one at Hamlette's Soliloquy. I thought it would be fun to look back at the period movies I have watched over the years and see what answers I can come up with.

At the very outset, I would like my readers to know that it has been ages and ages since I have watched movies and series. Much of my favourites date back to movies from the golden years of Hollywood. I have discovered that many of them are based on books which I later read. If I were to compare them then, I would want to tear my hair out, because you don't recognise the movie in the book and vice-versa. However, on their own, these movies are lovely. 

1. What's your favourite period drama movie?
This is a very difficult one to answer. I've decided to go for one I have watched a countless number of times: Ben-Hur.


2. What's your favourite period drama series?
This one is easy, as I believe I have only ever watched one of these completely. Pride and Prejudice.


3. Which period drama do you dislike the most?
May I say all the follow-up series in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise?

4. Anne of Green Gables or Little Dorrit?
Anne of Green Gables by default.



5. Your favourite period drama dresses?
Dresses like the one below that Audrey Hepburn wears for her character, Natasha in War and Peace.


6. Who is your favourite period drama character? (Pick five.)
I think I'm going with just three.

a. Joe March from Little Women


Katherine Hepburn in the 1933 version

June Allyson in the 1949 version

Winona Ryder in the 1994 version


b. Robin Hood

Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Cary Elwes in Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) -
A spoof mostly based on the 1991 version below.

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

c. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

Greer Garson in the 1940 version

Jennifer Ehle in the 1995 version

Keira Knightley in the 2005 version
- She's probably the least Elizabeth-ish of all the
actors who have played this character.
She lacks that twinkle in the eye,
but she is still very pretty!


7. If you could join a royal ball which dress would you wear? (Pick a period drama dress.)
My pick is from Faerie Tale Theatre's Cinderella. (It's the white dress on the right.)



I couldn't find a picture with only the dress on the right. It's beautiful! The dress on the left is golden and I loved it as a child; always wanted a golden dress because of this one. However, as an adult, my choice would be the white one on the right. I am not able to get a better picture to show the full length of the dress, but the material looks chiffon-y and gorgeous. 

8. What is your favourite Jane Austen movie?
Another easy one -- Sense & Sensibility (1995).



9. Downtown Abbey or Call the Midwife?
Neither.

10. Sybil Crawley, Jenny Lee, Emma Woodhouse or Marian of Knighton?
Emma Woodhouse by default. I haven't a clue who the others are!


On a side note, the dresses in this version are incredibly pretty!

11. Which couples of a period drama do you like the most? (Pick at least four.)
I haven't the foggiest idea about this one. Sure, I like my share of sweet romance. It makes a story sparkle. But I'm not much into what they call shipping. In most of the movies I have watched it has always been quite obvious who the lovebirds are right from the start. I've just taken all the romance for granted. I really don't have the stamina to apply my brain to this one. I love them all!

12. And last, which period villain do you like the most?
I think this is a toss between Yul Brynner's Pharaoh in The Ten Commandments and Mel Ferrer's Marquis de Maynes in Scaramouche.

Brynner's Pharaoh is a powerful character, so full of hate and revenge without being overly dramatic. He is very believable in this role.


This Marquis de Maynes has a certain sensitivity about him -- vulnerability in spite of his villainy. He's a grey character. (And he looks like a he could be a hero in one of Georgette Heyer's Georgian Romances!)


Well, this post took ages! But it was so much fun. 

I am not tagging anyone. It is just something I discovered and had a go at. If you're going to go ahead and do this, please do let me know in the comments below. I would love to check out your answers!!

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh, Ben-Hur is one of my favorites too! Beautiful, fun movie.

    And I love Jo March. Such a spirited, yet serious girl.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hamlette!:)

      Ben-Hur is indeed beautiful! I read your article on it in "Femista" - very interesting.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes! I was quite curious when I saw the link to the article on your blog. It's a beautiful and powerful theme in the story. But have you ever read the book? It is more lovely for various other reasons.

      Delete
    3. Yup, I've read the book, though it was quite a while ago. Definitely due for a re-read.

      Delete
  2. I, too, loved Natasha's dresses in War and Peace. They were exquisite, and Audrey wore them beautifully. In fact, my 11-year old asked her grandmother (my mom) to make Audrey's ball gown for her future wedding gown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! That's such a lovely idea! Your 11-year old is smart. :D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.