Thursday 8 December 2016

Back to the Classics in 2017

I've been waiting for this challenge to come up! I've decided to stick with 6 categories for now. I don't want to make too much of a commitment, you see. However, I do have books in mind for 3 more categories should I find I have finished this lot early. So, to the list!

Click on the banner to get to the host site.


2.  A 20th Century Classic -  Asterix the Gaul by René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo

4.  A classic in translation - The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Matsuo Basho 

5.  A classic published before 1800 - Cymbeline by William Shakespeare

7.  A Gothic or horror classic - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte

8.  A classic with a number in the title - Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome

10. A classic set in a place you'd like to visit - The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

I have tried to put down titles that will not overlap with books planned for other challenges. With too much overlapping I suspect the challenges become rather pointless, don't you think? I suppose the one challenge that will definitely overlap with others is the Mount TBR one that I have already signed up for on Goodreads. But then there does have to be an exception to every rule, so...yep!

12 comments:

  1. Oh how cool! I hope you get your other three in too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh...thanks! It would be lovely if I could, but I'm not going to push myself to even try. I'm afraid to kill whatever enthusiasm I might have for these!!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't thought of Three Men on the Bummel! I have this one unread also, thanks for reminding me. And thanks for signing up for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting, Karen! I used to participate in this when it first started a long time ago. I'm looking forward to this very much.:)

      Delete
  3. Asterix!!! They are the only books my kids want to read at the library but I understand why. I'm doing this challenge for the 3rd year now & have just signed up for Becky's Cloud of Witnesses Challenge also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Asterix from the time I was a child too. I've noticed with each reading, though, that I understand a great deal more of the subtleties and allusions. Love it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I just had to laugh when I saw Asterix! You perhaps get the prize for the most unique choice! I love Jerome K. Jerome. Whenever I need a laugh, he's a go-to. Perhaps I should read some of his works soon ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....both my mum and I had just bought my husband a few comics from the series, and I was thrilled to realise that the first handful fall nicely outside of the 50-year rule. :D

      Oh yes, Jerome is good fun...and also, so very beautiful and poetic when he isn't being funny.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen to many challenges this year that I've been tempted to participate in (fortunately!), but this one is fun. I'm aiming for 6 also, but if I can read more--so much the better! I keep seeing bloggers talk about (re)reading The Lord of the Rings next year, which is sooo tempting, but I just finished a reread a year or two ago, and I have so many other books to get to, that I think I'll refrain this time. I'm not familiar with any of your other books listed (other than the Bronte and Shakespeare by name), but it sounds like you have some good choices. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the challenges. There seem to be many and yet too few. I've signed up for only three myself. And even if you won't be re-reading LotR this year, please do pop in any time and take part in discussion that might be happening... different perspectives are always good fun to read.

      Delete
  6. If you ever make it to Middle Earth, be careful...place is still crawling with beasties :) Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry...I carry my trusty bow and arrow.:D...thanks!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.