Tuesday 29 November 2016

What I am reading in 2017.

2017 is fast approaching and it has been three years since I last made a bookish list for the new year. I am not looking to join many reading challenges. I am currently in the middle of one with my best friend, and even that one I am not entirely sure I will be able to complete given my recent reading trend. However, I would like to finish about fifteen to twenty categories on the list of thirty. I am also looking forward to seeing what categories are up for Back-to-the-Classics 2017, and I just might join the Deal Me In challenge as well. Neither of them is up as yet.

So, while I am waiting for these challenges to pop up, I decided to make a TBR list of my own for 2017. I did, for a few brief hours, toy with the idea of running my own non-fiction reading challenge and Shakespearean reading challenge, but dropped the idea when I thought of the amount of commitment it would require. It is not a commitment I am willing to make since flexibility in reading whatever I want to whenever I want to is upper most on my mind.


This list is subject to change, mostly due to additions. 

NON-FICTION BOOKS
  1.  Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome
  2. Keeping the Jewel in the Crown: The British Betrayal of India by Walter Reid
  3. The South Asian Papers: A Critical Anthology of Writings by Stephen Philip Cohen
  4. The Silk Roads: A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan
  5. The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches by Matsuo Basho
  6. Beginning French by Marty Neumeier (NetGalley)
  7. Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood by Jan Marsh (NetGalley)
  8. The Faith of William Shakespeare by Graham Holderness (NetGalley)
  9. How Shakespeare Put Politics on the Stage by Peter Lake (NetGalley)
  10. In Xanadu by William Dalrymple
  11. Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
  12. My Husband and Other Animals by Janaki Lenin
  13. Rain in the Mountains: Notes from the Himalayas by Ruskin Bond
  14. Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow: A Book for an Idle Holiday by Jerome K. Jerome
  15. A Book of English Essays by Emrys Williams
  16. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
  17. Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi
  18. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  19. The Real Face of Atheism by Ravi Zacharias
  20. Chopped, Sprinkled and Ready to Serve: Spiritual Memoirs by Anita Lazarus
  21. The Holy Bible (KJV following the Legacy Reading Plan ) 
FICTION AND POETRY
  1. Paradise Lost by John Milton (read-along)
  2. On Love and Barley by Matsuo Basho
  3. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
  4. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Llew Wallace (re-read)
  5. The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (re-read)
  6. Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (re-read) (read-along)
  7. Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott (re-read)
  8. The Hobbit (graphic novel) by J. R. R. Tolkien (re-read)
  9. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis (re-read)
PLAYS BY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
  1. Cymbeline
  2. Timon of Athens
  3. All's Well that Ends Well (the only one of Shakespeare's plays that Shaw liked)
  4. Coriolanus
  5. Troilus and Cressida
  6. Love's Labour's Lost


10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great list to work off from. Nice mix of genres. Those year long readalongs can be tough to keep up with. I have one that I want to do and am eyeballing others, but I am trying to be cautious. Enjoy your 2017 reading. I look forward to reading about what you read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the long read-alongs, Toady. I have found that I can't keep a slow pace. However, in this case I am more sure than not that I will be able to stay on track. There is no way I will finish Paradise Lost in just once shot. And I mean to savour the Lord of the Rings. :D

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This is quite an impressive list. Good luck to you in getting these read!

    Here's my Holiday Gift Guide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm PLANNING to read The Cost of Discipleship January 2017. : )
    I think I'd like to look at #15, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheheh.... it would be nice to do some sort of buddy read, but I doubt I'll be touching it until much later into the year, God willing.:) And I am very much looking forward to #15...likely that will be a January or February read. :D

      Delete
    2. I don't know why I said #15...I meant #17. I'm going to add it to my TBR; AND I am also itching to read Ben-Hur (I may have mentioned that already another time), AND both of your C.S. Lewis titles.

      Delete
    3. I was a bit puzzled by your comment because I knew you had been talking about the Qureshi book. Then I realised the change in numbers was my doing... I added two more books to the list.:)

      Ben-Hur!....a beautiful book! I regret not having written anything on it when I read it the first time. This time around I want it to be a slow process with some stops along the way to journal in my thoughts.

      C.S. Lewis...I'm really excited about these. :D....actually I'm looking forward to all of them!! I only hope I don't waste my time.:-/

      Delete
  4. Really awesome list for 2017!

    The Blue Castle is one of my favorite books. To me, that book is a kindred spirit. :)

    I see some other really good titles here, and a few are reminders of perhaps some books I need to finally read in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...thank you, Tarissa! I've read The Blue Castle only once and found it beautiful. I read it online at the time though. I now have a hard copy...it isn't a very good copy, but it will suffice until I can get myself a better one. This seems to be a very hard book to come by!!

      Which titles are you looking at?

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.