Tuesday 18 October 2016

Ten Characters I Might Like to Name a Cat or Dog After



This week's Top Ten Tuesday at the Broke and Bookish was fun to put together. I don't have any pets, and I am not much of an animal person. I mean, I like animals as long as they keep their distance...and they aren't lizards *shudders*. Anyway, I have put together names I would have liked to have given a cat or a dog had I been inclined towards having pets. 




5 Names for a Dog:

1. Frodo from The Lord of the Rings. I imagine he would be a tiny dog. A lassapso maybe.

2. Caesar from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Okay, so Caesar was more a title, true, and not a character, but that's still a name out of Shakespeare! 

3.  Sir Orfeo by the Pearl Poet. I picked the name up from Tolkien's translation of the same, though. I can imagine a lumberous labrador, master of his domain.

4. Ichabod from The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I imagine this guy is going to be hiding under the covers during thunder storms!!

5. Earnest from The Importance of Being Earnest. Yep! This is one earnest looking dog!




5 Names for a Cat:

1. Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't know why, but this sounds like such a dignified name for a dignified creature.

2. Huckleberry from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. So, I can see this tom cat coming in once every week looking like he's been on an adventure.

3. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice. Doesn't it sound like a cool name for a cat? All prideful and aloof. 

4. Longshanks from Edward Longshanks. Again, a person right out of history. But then, he's a name in a piece of fiction too. A long-legged cat. 

5. Uncle Tom from Uncle Tom's Cabin. I dunno. He's a very knowledgable looking tom cat. 


So, there we have it! 10 names for dogs and cats. I've just realised that they're all names for males. Hmmm...

Do you like any of the above? What character would you name your cat or dog after? Or have you already a pet you've given a favourite fictional name to?

12 comments:

  1. Darcy has to be the most perfect name I've ever heard for a cat.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-characters-id-name-my-children.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darcy is a fantastic name for any pet, Huckleberry is very cute too -- clearly I am a cat person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Darcy seems to be quite a popular name for pets this week.:D

      Delete
  3. Unique choices! I love the name Earnest for a dog. So fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the name Atticus. I would have seriously considered naming Eleanor that had she been a boy! Also love the Longshanks idea, good pet name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Atticus is a lovely name! Very fantastical yet dignified. Longshanks sounds very T.S. Eliot, me thinks! heheh...

      Delete
  5. I don't have pets either, but this is hilarious. I'm sure Ernest and Uncle Tom would be great pals, lol. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yeah! Very sedate pets for a sedate mistress!

      Delete
  6. Love your choices, Atticus and Frodo especially! My cat is Sansa, like from Game of Thrones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I haven't read Game of Thrones (or watched it either) but I recognise the name. It's pretty!

      Atticus Finch is one of my favourites in this list...as is Sir Orfeo and Ichabod! heheh...

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.